8 November 2008



I have been tracing my family history, with the help of my Uncle we can go back as far as around about the 12th Century, and that takes us back to the Sheriff of Forfar! Of the more recent family members I have been trying to get more details of my Uncle's death in World War Two,I recall being told by my mother he had died as a result of wounds received on 28th Aughust 1944 in Italy, and that he lay in the battlefield beyond help and may have survived if they could have got to him. Today I made contact with someone in his Regiment who has access to the Regimental accounts that could tell me more and put me in touch of survivors of the battle. My interest was raised by my visit to the Somme battlefields in the summer, and the emotions that stirred up at the time were very powerful, and I am now determined to visit my Uncles grave next year at some stage.

No comments: