13 August 2008

History Lesson


Settle down there at the back,a history lesson...
Do you know where the V-sign comes from? well I am here to tell you! the two-fingers salute and/or V sign derives from the gestures of longbowmen fighting in the English army at the Battle of Agincourt (1415) during the Hundred Years' War. The French claimed that they would cut off the arrow-shooting fingers of all the English longbowmen after they had won the battle at Agincourt. But the English came out victorious and showed off their two fingers, still intact. At this Battle Henry V (made famous in the play of the same name guv) stuffed the living daylights out of the French led by Charles VI.
There that was good wasn't it? Now you may be wondering why I have imparted this historical story, well its very simple, we are visiting Agincort during our stay in France. Due to the fact we won and they being French did not I feel I am entitled to wander around flicking the old V sign at our French Cousins...... From now on I think at least once a week I will post something historical on the blog!
In the meantime the bike is still here and not claimed, I am not sure what to do with it.

No comments: