28 August 2008



Well we are back from Conde Folie, and it has changed my perception of France in a rather large way, before I was convinced the French were rude, smelt of garlic and where just, well French to be honest, it has been explained to me that the French I have met previously were city dwellers, who are as described above, the fold in Conde Folie and the Picardy area in general are very welcoming and to my surprise and amusement, barking mad.

My first real contact came in what was to become my regular haunt, the Bar Tabac, run by Michel and Briggite, who were more than welcoming to this 'Anglais', the poor pair had to put up with my pathetic attempts at French, but had patience and were more than happy to help me correct any errors I made. Michel has signs up saying that smoking is prohibited, but Michel and for that matter the rest of rural France I hate being told what to do by the Parisennes, who they detest with a passion! so on my first visit he was talking in a rather animated manner at me with arms flying wildly, this was a bit worrying until Eamon translated that Michel insisted I smoke in the bar and if they tried to stop anyone smoking in his bar there would be a revolution and the guillotine would be dusted off, so much to my joy and Michel's approval I lit the first of many cigs in this marvelous establishment!

The only downside was the fact that I shared my room with my son and my two godsons, one of my godsons has a disturbing habit whilst asleep, he spends the entire night lifting his legs than whacking them down on the mattress, an activity that does not lead to getting off to sleep, luckily I discovered how to render this a non issue....its called red wine and was very effective!

No comments: