19 March 2008

Have your cake and eat it


Now and again something catches my eye and gets me going, Cardiff City have managed that big time... Now Cardiff City are in the English FA Cup Semi - Final in a few weeks, if they go on and win the English FA Cup as part of their agreement with the Football Association they cannot claim a place in Europe as they are not English, an agreement they went along with, obviously in the days when they had absolutely no chance of winning a bean, let alone the FA Cup! Are you with me so far? well it turns out that they now think they would rather like to go into Europe if they win so very quietly they have asked the FA to reconsider this ruling. Michel Platini the President of UEFA (a Frenchman) agrees they should be allowed to participate as English representatives, all well and good so far, there is a little fly in the ointment as far as I am concerned, yes the agreement can be repealed, but my issue is this, in 2003 they were in the Play - off final against QPR, it is traditional that at the final the teams line up for the National Anthem, as it is an English competition. Cardiff City protested on the basis they were Welsh and to line up for God Save The Queen would be an insult to them as they were Welsh! They asked for the Welsh Anthem to be sung for them instead, the League quite rightly insisted that it was the National Anthem, or nothing, Cardiff said they could not be responsible for how their fans behaved during the Anthem of not just England but United Kingdom, so the teams lined up and Club songs were played, Cardiff's just happened to be Men of Harlech!
Now here we are are in 2008 and suddenly Cardiff who objected to being English in 2003, are now more than happy to go into Europe as an English team. I wonder how much they would stand to earn in Europe?
Sounds like a flag of convenience to me....

5 comments:

M said...

only now and then!!

Gigi said...

Oh Mr Finch - My dear departed Dad was a Barnado's Boy, fostered to a Welsh family and he always told us how very kind they were to him so I do find your treatment of the Welsh a little churlish. But feel free to respond!! G

pete43 said...

Well I am only going on the Welsh I know who are rabidly anti - English.
I agree that there are some very nice Welsh people, I met one once in Turkey...
The point I was making, having moved amongst the Welsh regularly I have noticed that when anyone plays England at any sport they want England thrashed, yet when they stand to make a few quid they suddenly drop their hatred.

Gigi said...

2 things .... Firstly next time you go to Turkey, as the first Turkish bloke you meet if he has a dancing bear. It's a custom. (And in Sweden they EAT BEARS .... gross!)

Secondly, can't we just pick on the Scots? They really hate us. Oh go on .....!!

pete43 said...

I have no current plans to travel to Turkey but will bear (geddit) your comments in mind.
As for the Scots, s yet they have not upset me, but I am sure they will rattle my cage at some stage...