18 June 2008

We had Cricket practice last night, and the familiar roar and giggle of the young wicket taking Finch was heard, I was batting in he came first 3 balls I defended, 3rd ball I was having with a hefty slap, now it always helps if you middle the ball rather than spoon it up for one of the fielders to catch! So when young Finch stepped up to bat I was there demanding the ball, only one slight problem, for the past week Dan has been working on cover drives and defensive play, little sod would not even nibble, he blocked the whole over including my last ball which was sent down at a decent pace! We have a match this Sunday against The Priory at Avery Hill, so we decided before we started that tonight there would be no daft shots, and we would try and bat properly, sadly the whole team to a man decided to have a go at the Kevin Pietersen shot, now this is hard enough for a world class player to attempt and pull off, let alone the batsmen of The Star Cricket Club, so the result was the clatter of stumps was heard on a regular basis last night amid much laughter from the team. Our wicket keeper is a chatter box, but last night he was a tad quiet, he got hit on the knee and one ball slammed into his throat causing some discomfort and the end his constant sledging! he also got stroppy, he was out LBW, it was the most plumb LBW you could wish to see, the whole team agreed except our wicket keeper, poor lad was distraught, what did not help after the game was us finding a childs dummy, someone (I will not name names) persuaded to Young Finch to deliver it to him, Young Finch wandered up to him in front of the whole team and delivered the dummy with the line "this is your, you spat it out when we got you LBW" stunning.... the whole team was in hysterics except out poor wicket keeper.. Its good to see Young Finch doing as his father ask's for a change!
I have been a man on a mission the last few weeks bullying the team to keep the cricket ball polished as it really helps it swing, the lads did well last night with it and I managed to bowl some lovely in-swinging and out-swinging deliveries, and took a few wickets as well.... it all bodes well for the weekend, I am batting at 6 and will be first change bowler, just like Ian Botham!!!
This morning I have woken up with a very bad right side, for a few days my neck has been sore but it is not at all good today, very very sore and I cannot seem to turn my head too much...Sports Massage I think is required.

No comments: